Sunday 14 August 2011

Comfort food

There's something about the food you remember from your childhood.  It can be very comforting to return to it as an adult. One of my favourites was what used to be called 'spuds and onions in the pan' because it didn't need a fancier name.

Start by slicing up some potatoes and onions. New potatoes won't work in this dish. Wash the spuds well and slice them. Don't bother to peel. Slice the onions into rings.
Put about two teaspoons of cooking oil in the bottom of a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Layer the onions and potatoes, starting with onions. Season it well with salt and pepper and add about 200ml of water. Put a lid on the pan.
If you don't have a lid - use a plate! Put the pan on a medium heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Check regularly to make sure it hasn't boiled dry. Test the potatoes from time to time to see if they're cooked.  It'll take about 10-15 minutes depending on how thickly you've sliced the spuds.

When the spuds are cooked, take the lid off and boil it rapidly to reduce the liquid. It's done as soon as the onions start to stick. See the picture at the top to see how they should look.

Goes well with a thick slice of corned beef, or a couple of rashers of bacon.

7 comments:

  1. Simple but hugely delicious - particularly I bet with corned beef! I'm going to try that this week!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. And cheap! Potato and onion is always a good combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!..
    Forget the water...use bacon grease!
    How much is 200 ml?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi G-Man! Bacon grease won't actually work (trust me - I've tried!) :) About a quarter of a pint should do it. The amount's not critical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I appreciate both flavours, I actually dislike the combined texture of onions and potatoes. Maybe I'm just weird because your prose and photos are fairly persuasive....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? I love them together. There are some combinations I hate. Mint chocolate, for example. I can just about cope with chocolate with a bit of mint flavour - but anything green with chocolate chips in, I can't handle. Most people think that's odd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not me. I hate chocolate and mint. I love fried potatoes (with onion). I just finished reading The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father where [once again]he writes about eating egg and chip during the war. That sounds so good and in fact, I made some for supper!
    Your spuds n onions looks delish!

    ReplyDelete